From: William Hubbs <williamh@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] USE=introspection has been unmasked in the tree
Date: Fri, 19 Aug 2011 14:37:34
1 On Wed, Aug 17, 2011 at 02:03:43AM +0200, Chí-Thanh Christopher Nguyễn wrote:
2 > Jeremy Olexa schrieb:
3 > > On 08/16/2011 06:07 PM, Nirbheek Chauhan wrote:
4 > >> The use-case for disabling introspection globally is if you will never
5 > >> use any gobject language bindings for the next 4-5 years.
6 > >
7 > > FYI: I disabled it globally, already, on my server. As the rrdtool stack
8 > > pulls in pango with the +introspection default. Useless to me, and my
9 > > host. No problems since June 24 2011. (I thought it was already unmasked
10 > > since I discovered it enabled back then)
11 >
12 > Sounds to me like profile defaults are more appropriate than IUSE
13 > defaults in this case.
14
15 I tend to agree. I would rather see profile defaults here instead of
16 IUSE forcing on introspection at the package level.
17
18 Remember that udev supports introspection, so if I put
19 IUSE="+introspection" in the udev ebuild, every system that has udev
20 will have introspection turned on by default unless users disable it.
21
22 Also, I see that dev-libs/glib wwants to force introspection onto my
23 system. I do not use gnome, so I don't know why I need introspection.
24
25 Nirbheek/gnome team: Please reconsider this and consider making
26 introspection a profile default instead.
27
28 Thanks,
29
30 William