From: Sven Vermeulen <swift@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] gentoo vs. the FHS
Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2003 07:21:18
1 On Tue, Sep 23, 2003 at 08:08:30PM -0500, Kevin Lacquement wrote:
2 > Of course, to make proprietary apps happy, Gentoo would also need to be
3 > LSB-compliant. And _that_ requires supporting RPMs, which I don't think we
4 > want to do (see the GWN from April 1).
5
6 The LSB states that the distribution must support RPMs, but it doesn't say
7 how. You don't have to have an rpm-based distribution, you can very well have
8 a conversion that creates ebuilds from an RPM.
9
10 The only problem you would have are dependencies, and the LSB clearly defines
11 what dependencies are allowed in LSB-RPMs.
12
13 Wkr,
14 Sven Vermeulen
17 ^__^ And Larry saw that it was Good.