From: Ian Stakenvicius <axs@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Getting EAPI 5 *use.stable.mask to work in gx86?
Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2012 02:02:29
2 Hash: SHA256
3
4 On 10/12/12 04:27 PM, Michał Górny wrote:
5 > Hello,
6 >
7 > I think we're mostly aware what the use and benefits of the
8 > *use.stable.mask files are.
9 >
10 > They would be at least really useful in Python ebuilds, where we
11 > have to either:
12 >
13 > a) forcedly stabilize a particular Python implementation (like
14 > pypy),
15 >
16 > b) don't support it all,
17 >
18 > c) or just keep two package revisions around, one with 'stable'
19 > Python implementations for stabilization and the other with all
20 > implementations for testing users.
23 > Therefore, having *use.stable.mask would be at least helpful to us.
24 > But as far as I can see, the spec says we can use it only in
25 > profile dirs with EAPI 5...
26 >
27 > So far, I doubt anyone would want us to migrate our major profiles
28 > to a newer EAPI, like EAPI 4, not to mention fresh 5. And of
29 > course, that wouldn't follow our migration path practices.
32 > Therefore, I see the following solutions:
33 >
34 > 1) duplicate most of the major profiles. Make an EAPI 5-enabled
35 > wrapper profiles which will provide the *use.stable.mask files.
36 > Require users to migrate to those profiles after getting an EAPI 5
37 > capable package manager (how?). Possibly mask the relevant flags
38 > completely in other profiles.
41 > 2) change the rules. Make *use.stable.mask files not require EAPI
42 > 5 profile dirs but apply only to EAPI 5 packages. The outcome is
43 > similar -- package managers without the feature ignore the ebuilds.
44 > If they have EAPI 5, they should be able to handle stable unmasking
45 > as well.
46 >
47 > Of course, it all falls apart because of package manager
48 > strictness. We may want to change that retroactively and quickly
49 > release updated package managers before the EAPI 5 support is
50 > spread wider (assuming some transitional period before we will
51 > start using the files), or defer it into EAPI 6.
54 > Either way, I believe that *use.stable.mask would be very helpful
55 > if we were able to use it. What are your thoughts?
58 I wonder how (2) would really differ from the current situation -- ie,
59 if there's a use.stable.mask file in a profiles dir, and portage is
60 too old to support it, doesn't it just get ignored?