From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: Agenda [WAS: One-Day Gentoo Council Reminder for June]
Date: Thu, 19 Jun 2008 08:08:35
1 Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o> posted
2 1213839792.4449.7.camel@××××××××××××××××.org, excerpted below, on Wed, 18
3 Jun 2008 18:43:12 -0700:
4
5 > Quite frankly, I'd prefer see Gentoo
6 > take control over the specification that defines the most important
7 > single feature of Gentoo and remove the non-Gentoo developers from its
8 > development.
9
10 Leaving the history aside (I posted my personal feelings a week or so
11 ago, no need to rehash), we have a serious practical problem with any
12 proposal to take direct control of PMS and boot the main current
13 contributors.
14
15 The problem is -- like him or not, and like the problem or not, Ciaran is
16 the ONE person who pushed and pushed on PMS, ultimately got the thing
17 going, and continues to be the prime mover behind it.
18
19 Now, part of that may be the result of the caustic style, no argument
20 there. However, the fact is, he's and the other paludis folks are
21 putting in the hard time that has to be put in to get the thing done.
22 Nobody else is, either on their repository or on the Gentoo controlled
23 one. In fact, last I knew, the Gentoo one tended not to be up to date
24 and was often going weeks between any action at all (tho talk was of
25 moving the active one to Gentoo hosting, don't know if it ever happened
26 or not).
27
28 Whatever our disagreements or dislikes for each other, the practical
29 situation is that Ciaran and friends are doing what no one else took time
30 to do, and, were we to forcibly remove them from their current activity
31 on it, I'd put the chances at over 70% it'd end up stagnating pretty
32 fast. That's the problem with scrapping and starting over, too, except
33 even more so. I'd put the chances of a redo project ever reaching even
34 /this/ far at less than 20%.
35
36 So, while we might not particularly like the persons doing it, if we
37 consider it worthwhile and useful to have done, we pretty much gotta work
38 with them, because they /are/ doing it -- no one else was or is, nor,
39 practically speaking, do I see anybody else having the discipline, time
40 and talent to stick to it and get it done, right, regardless of likes or
41 dislikes.
42
43 Now, it may indeed be that having a working and adopted PMS or alike
44 document isn't worth the trouble. It's the council, backed by individual
45 devs, that ultimately decides such things. However, I believe it's
46 worthwhile to face the facts, and know that if we /do/ nix this, we're
47 probably nixing the entire idea for some years at least. Whether it's
48 worth it or not I can't say, but that's what we're talking, in terms of
49 cost, one way or the other. We either take this, like or not who doing
50 it, or we don't, and we lose all the benefits, for now and perhaps
51 forever, but also lose the poison. Honestly, I'm glad I'm not one of
52 those having to make that decision.
57 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman
60 gentoo-dev@l.g.o mailing list