From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: bertini license
Date: Tue, 30 Jul 2013 08:40:45
1 Thomas Kahle posted on Mon, 29 Jul 2013 14:58:58 -0600 as excerpted:
2
3 > I just added the license 'bertini' to the non-free group. Bertini is a
4 > math software distributed in source form but with restriction on
5 > redistribution (no fee is allowed, no modifications may be
6 > redisitributed). The way I read clause 2, I think we are allowed to
7 > distribute the source code on the mirrors. The ebuild is
8 > sci-mathematics/bertini which I'll add soon.
9
10 [From the license]
11
12 > 2. Conveying Verbatim Copies.
13 >
14 > You may convey verbatim copies of the Program's source code as you
15 > receive it, in any medium, provided [... etc]
16 >
17 > You may not charge a fee for any copy that you convey, and you may not
18 > offer support or warranty protection for a fee.
19
20 I read clause 2 the same way you did.
21
22 > 3. Conveying Modified Versions.
23 >
24 > You may modify the Program for your private use only. You may not
25 > convey, in any manner, a modified version of the Program without written
26 > consent of all Authors of the Program.
27
28 Does this allow us to create and distribute (separate, as gentoo does)
29 patches, or not? I'm unclear on that.
30
31 Clearly those patches would be based on and derived from the covered
32 work, but (once beyond uncopywritably trivial) remain their own
33 copywritable work. As long as they're distributed as separate patches
34 we /may/ be fine as we're not "conveying" a modified version per se, but
35 I'm not sure how to interpret that "in any manner" phrase, and given
36 that, I'd definitely be more comfortable with a qualified legal opinion,
37 or at least getting foundation approval.
38
39 Or will we not be patching (or sed-ing, etc) at all, with a warning to
40 other devs in the ebuild to be sure? IOW, are we basically treating it
41 as we would an ebuild for a proprietary binary, except here it does
42 happen to be building from source, but with NO changes at all? If that's
43 the case, then I see no problems with it.
48 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman