From: Brian Harring <ferringb@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Issues regarding glep-55 (Was: [gentoo-council] Re: Preliminary Meeting-Topics for 12 February 2009)
Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2009 14:14:49
1 On Mon, Feb 23, 2009 at 01:50:10PM +0000, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
2 > On Mon, 23 Feb 2009 04:26:49 -0800
3 > Brian Harring <ferringb@×××××.com> wrote:
4 > > There also is the angle that deploying g55 requires waiting at least
5 > > a full stage release (~year, at least by the old standards) to ensure
6 > > people aren't screwed by the repository changing formats
7 > > (unversioned!) under their feet.
8 >
9 > No it doesn't. It's transparent to users using an older package manager.
10
11 Would be useful if someone pulled older portage versions and checked
12 exactly what they do in this case- explode, behave, etc (manifest
13 behaviour included). It's been several years, but I recall portage
14 having problems at the onset of EAPI w/ it.
15
16 Beyond that, what I was stating was that the user doesn't get told
17 "sorry, your manager is too old, upgrade"- kind of an unobvious
18 failing.
19
20 Frankly, in terms of g55 I don't particularly care if it were
21 implemented- although I'd rather see it go in a seperate repo along w/
22 the dozen other fixups needed, preferably starting w/ overlays...
23
24 ~harring