From: Karl Trygve Kalleberg <karltk@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Naming question: Small/SmartEiffel
Date: Fri, 22 Nov 2002 14:11:28
1 On Fri, 22 Nov 2002 10:37:14 +0100
2 Per Wigren <wigren@××××.se> wrote:
3
4 > The problem is that SmallEiffel is about to be renamed to SmartEiffel..
5 > The current stable release is SmallEiffel v0.74, but it will be soon be
6 > renamed to SmartEiffel when it becomes v1.0 (it's currently 1.0beta5)..
7
8 For now, call it smalleiffel-0.74.
9
10 When smarteiffel-1.0 comes out, we'll slowly phase out smalleiffel. We
11 don't yet have any way to "rename" or "supercede" packages; it is expected
12 that the users keep track of what they want to have installed.
13
14 The alternative is to never bother about smalleiffel in the the first
15 place, and just start by packagaging smarteiffel-1.0_beta5, if it is
16 stable enough to be used for anything.
19 > Another problem is that the filenames doesn't contain the
20 > version-number... All versions are named se.tgz so this will cause a
21 > problem when upgrading if the old one is still in distfiles...
22
23 Then we don't want to deal with them ;) Ask the upstream maintainers to
24 append a proper version tag to their tarballs. If they don't, this is
25 going to become a high maintainenance ebuild, as we'll have to manually
26 keep a mirror of the tarballs, rename them with version tags, etc, etc,
27 and that means it'll get lower priority than it needs to, simply because
28 we have a finite amount of time, and cannot justify spending a lot of time
29 on one package unless it's a central/crucial one.
32 Kind regards,
33
34 Karl T
40 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list