From: Markos Chandras <hwoarang@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Change policy about live ebuilds
Date: Sun, 21 Nov 2010 14:35:22
1 On Sun, Nov 21, 2010 at 03:29:10PM +0100, Diego Elio Pettenò wrote:
2 > Il giorno dom, 21/11/2010 alle 13.11 +0000, Markos Chandras ha scritto:
3 > >
4 > > My proposal is to keep empty keywords on live ebuilds without masking
5 > > them via package.mask
6 >
7 > The reason why many of them are in p.mask is usually because _I_ added
8 > them there as they didn't mask with KEYWORDS="", and simply dropping
9 > keywords would have users angry.
10 This is the alternative approach. Retain the keywords and mask the
11 package which doesn't look that safe in case you have both a normal
12 version and a live ebuild masked. Then users should pay extra attention
13 which version they unmask.
14 > >
15 > > Users interpret this as a 'double masking' which in fact it is since
16 > > they need to touch two files before they are able to use the package.
17 >
18 > Fine by me, but the problem remains that users won't know _why_ the
19 > package is masked, way too many times.
20 I don't understand that. The default policy would be empty keywords. If
21 you need to mask a live ebuild using package.mask because e.g master
22 branch is terribly broken or whatever then it makes sense. But I am not
23 sure I understand what you are saying :-)
24 >
25 > --
26 > Diego Elio Pettenò — “Flameeyes”
27 > http://blog.flameeyes.eu/
28 >
29 > If you found a .asc file in this mail and know not what it is,
30 > it's a GnuPG digital signature: http://www.gnupg.org/
35 Markos Chandras (hwoarang)
36 Gentoo Linux Developer
37 Web: http://hwoarang.silverarrow.org
38 Key ID: 441AC410
39 Key FP: AAD0 8591 E3CD 445D 6411 3477 F7F7 1E8E 441A C410