From: Alec Warner <warnera6@×××××××.edu>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] where goes Gentoo?
Date: Tue, 07 Jun 2005 02:14:52
2 Hash: SHA1
3
4 Dylan Carlson wrote:
5 > On Monday 06 June 2005 16:55, Aron Griffis wrote:
6 >
7 >>I think that attempting to take Gentoo in the "enterprise" direction
8 >>is a mistake. I think that we are a hobbyist distribution. This
9 >>doesn't mean that we should not strive to meet some of the enterprise
10 >>goals. Those things can be important to hobbyists too. But I don't
11 >>think we should be aiming for corporate America.
14 > I've always felt Gentoo is better as a base or platform. There's certainly
15 > enough power in the tools we provide for anyone to roll something
16 > "enterprise" based upon our work. Or for any other purpose, including
17 > binary-only.
18 There is power in Gentoo, the way you set things up, the choice
19 provided, the overall goal of Gentoo. There is not power in our tools.
20 Our tools are in fact underpowered IMHO. Thats one of the areas where
21 I think work is really needed, and a lot of what I want to work on is
22 portage-related tools. Much of this requires new portage API's which
23 are in progress but take a lot of work.
24
25 There is an installer project that will in principle facilitate large
26 scale Gentoo deployments, there is a GLEP for a stable tree, there is
27 hardened, and all of those are great.
30 > Much in the same way as there are numerous distros that ARE Debian --
31 > derived from and cooperative with, but not separate from.
32 >
33 > People could always try to fork, too, but many of us know how well that
34 > went for people who have tried...
35 >
36 Much better to be a meta meta distro such as Ubuntu that runs off of a
37 core gentoo install than to fork stuff, especially at present.
38
39 > Cheers,
42 I think in the end, Gentoo is too much a dynamic entity to be used for
43 a stable enterprise rollout. You would need something debianesque with
44 releases, or a Gentoo Snapshot ( say 2005.0 with bugfixes/security ). I
45 wonder at the allocation of things ( say the mySQL profile ) and when
46 things like that stay on Gentoo-owned hardware, vs. something like
47 breakmygentoo which is 3rd party. However I have faith that the
48 managers will enforce whatever is decided.
49
50 The whole point of this Open Source stuff anyway is to adapt things
51 however you need them, and Enterprise or not everyone has that option.
52
53 - -Ajec
54
73 --