From: plasmaroo@gentoo.org (Tim Yamin)
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Paludis and Profiles
Date: Wed, 17 May 2006 21:49:31
1 On Wed, May 17, 2006 at 10:30:10PM +0100, Stephen Bennett wrote:
2 > On Wed, 17 May 2006 20:56:14 +0000
3 > plasmaroo@g.o (Tim Yamin) wrote:
4 >
5 > > Well, if you're going to have a package manager that delivers the
6 > > same result as Portage it must therefore work with Catalyst...
7 >
8 > Paludis can produce the same end result as Portage. The reason it won't
9 > work with catalyst is that the interface is different.
10
11 ... so thus you claim it can produce binpkgs (I'm not bothered about the
12 interface, but the support to produce said binpkg must be there and also
13 to utilize said binpkg to install things)... and it can't.
14
15 > Once again, this is going far beyond the scope of the initial
16 > discussion. I'm not saying that Paludis should replace Portage, nor
17 > that it should be an "officially supported package manager". The
18 > question is simply one of whether I can add a top-level paludis profile
19 > without people complaining overmuch, or whether I have to go through
20 > the arch teams and make sub-profiles in 4 different places under
21 > default-linux/.
22
23 Yes, getting this thread back on-topic would be nice.
24 --
25 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list