From: Pacho Ramos <pacho@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: My masterplan for git migration (+ looking for infra to test it)
Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2014 15:28:58
1 El mar, 16-09-2014 a las 09:55 -0400, Rich Freeman escribió:
2 > On Tue, Sep 16, 2014 at 9:44 AM, Pacho Ramos <pacho@g.o> wrote:
3 > >
4 > > Maybe one option would be to kill Changelogs and provide a script to let
5 > > people get git messages and reformat them in a way similar as current
6 > > ChangeLog files, that way people will still be able to save this
7 > > information for the future (if they won't have internet conection later
8 > > for example) and read it simply with "less" for example. With this
9 > > option, we won't need to provide Changelogs and distribute them but
10 > > people wanting to have them will still be able to generate them if
11 > > wanted (for example, just after updating portage tree)
12 >
13 > Or they could just clone the git tree, and they can look at per-file
14 > logs anytime they want to.
15 >
16 > I mean, sure, we COULD do this stuff. But, why?
17 >
18 > It isn't like kernel.org has some tool that lets kernel users generate
19 > per-file changelog histories just in case they don't want to use git.
20 >
21 > If somebody wants to build a tool like this by all means go ahead and
22 > do it. I just don't see it as something that should be a migration
23 > pre-requisite. That's just my opinion though.
24 >
25 > --
26 > Rich
29 I don't consider it a pre-requisite either, was only trying to give an
30 option to still tell people how to get a ChangeLog similar to current
31 ones easily (as looks like they are used a lot per the past
32 discussion :/) I remember something similar was done in the past when
33 gnome stuff moved to git:
34 https://wiki.gnome.org/Git/ChangeLog
35
36 But I guess once we get habituated to simply review something equivalent
37 to https://git.gnome.org/browse/ not many people will miss the old
38 Changelogs ;)