From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: My masterplan for git migration (+ looking for infra to test it)
Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2014 13:55:38
1 On Tue, Sep 16, 2014 at 9:44 AM, Pacho Ramos <pacho@g.o> wrote:
2 >
3 > Maybe one option would be to kill Changelogs and provide a script to let
4 > people get git messages and reformat them in a way similar as current
5 > ChangeLog files, that way people will still be able to save this
6 > information for the future (if they won't have internet conection later
7 > for example) and read it simply with "less" for example. With this
8 > option, we won't need to provide Changelogs and distribute them but
9 > people wanting to have them will still be able to generate them if
10 > wanted (for example, just after updating portage tree)
11
12 Or they could just clone the git tree, and they can look at per-file
13 logs anytime they want to.
14
15 I mean, sure, we COULD do this stuff. But, why?
16
17 It isn't like kernel.org has some tool that lets kernel users generate
18 per-file changelog histories just in case they don't want to use git.
19
20 If somebody wants to build a tool like this by all means go ahead and
21 do it. I just don't see it as something that should be a migration
22 pre-requisite. That's just my opinion though.
25 Rich