From: Kalin KOZHUHAROV <kalin@××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] GLEP 20 /srv - Services Home Directory Support
Date: Sun, 08 Jan 2006 15:31:21
1 Luca Barbato wrote:
2 > I'm thinking about adding the srvdir[1] global useflag.
3 >
4 > Scream if I miss some discussion preventing it.
5 >
6 > (fenice[2] will use it, that's why I'm adding it)
7 >
8 > lu
9 >
10 > [1] http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/glep/glep-0020.html#implementation
11 > [2] http://packages.gentoo.org/search/?sstring=fenice
14 Hi all,
15 not a dev, but please bear with me :-)
18 >From [1] above:
19
20 GLEP: 20
21 Title: /srv - Services Home Directory Support
22 Version: 1.2
23 Last-Modified: 2004/11/11 21:35:53
24 Author: Stuart Herbert <stuart at gentoo.org>, Rob Holland <tigger at gentoo.org>
25 Status: Approved
26 Type: Standards Track
27 Content-Type: text/x-rst
28 Created: 09-Feb-2004
29 Post-History: 21-Feb-2004, 11-Nov-2004
30
31 It is 2006, any updates on this GELP?
32
33 Just a quick look turned out a 404 error on the FHS2.3 link. ( http://www.pathname.com/fhs/ ?)
34
35 I am not very read in LSB, but just saw there is a 3.x version...
36 What about LSB 3.x? Is it the same recomendation?
37
38 Although I run quite a bunch of services on a few boxes, I don't see this whole idea (/srv).
39 I read the GLEP, I read [FHS#srv] but still. And it says:
40 "The methodology used to name subdirectories of /srv is unspecified
41 as there is currently no consensus on how this should be done."
42
43 So how does Gentoo implement it?
44
45 [FHS#svg] http://www.pathname.com/fhs/pub/fhs-2.3.html#SRVDATAFORSERVICESPROVIDEDBYSYSTEM
46
47 And as the GLEP talks about webapps, what will an upgrade of a webapp (say Bugzilla) to/from srv?
48 I feel it breaking and user screaming.
51 And a few general comments:
52
53 Hmm, the GLEP index page [a] shows GLEP 20 with status "SA" which according to the legend is
54 "Standards Track + Accepted". The [1] above has status "Approved" which might be the same, but why
55 is not there consistency in terms?
56
57 If it is approved/accepted doesn't it mean it is implemented by somebody?
58
59 [a] http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/glep/
60
61 Kalin.