From: Luca Barbato <lu_zero@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] GLEP 20 /srv - Services Home Directory Support
Date: Mon, 09 Jan 2006 02:17:18
1 Kalin KOZHUHAROV wrote:
2 > Luca Barbato wrote:
3 >
4 >>I'm thinking about adding the srvdir[1] global useflag.
5 >>
6 >>Scream if I miss some discussion preventing it.
7 >>
8 >>(fenice[2] will use it, that's why I'm adding it)
9 >>
10 >>lu
11 >>
12 >>[1] http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/glep/glep-0020.html#implementation
13 >>[2] http://packages.gentoo.org/search/?sstring=fenice
17 > Hi all,
18 > not a dev, but please bear with me :-)
21 > From [1] above:
22 >
23 > GLEP: 20
24 > Title: /srv - Services Home Directory Support
25 > Version: 1.2
26 > Last-Modified: 2004/11/11 21:35:53
27 > Author: Stuart Herbert <stuart at gentoo.org>, Rob Holland <tigger at gentoo.org>
28 > Status: Approved
29 > Type: Standards Track
30 > Content-Type: text/x-rst
31 > Created: 09-Feb-2004
32 > Post-History: 21-Feb-2004, 11-Nov-2004
33 >
34 > It is 2006, any updates on this GELP?
35 >
36 > Just a quick look turned out a 404 error on the FHS2.3 link. ( http://www.pathname.com/fhs/ ?)
37 >
38 > I am not very read in LSB, but just saw there is a 3.x version...
39 > What about LSB 3.x? Is it the same recomendation?
40 >
41 > Although I run quite a bunch of services on a few boxes, I don't see this whole idea (/srv).
42 > I read the GLEP, I read [FHS#srv] but still. And it says:
43 > "The methodology used to name subdirectories of /srv is unspecified
44 > as there is currently no consensus on how this should be done."
45 >
46 > So how does Gentoo implement it?
47 >
48 > [FHS#svg] http://www.pathname.com/fhs/pub/fhs-2.3.html#SRVDATAFORSERVICESPROVIDEDBYSYSTEM
49 >
50 > And as the GLEP talks about webapps, what will an upgrade of a webapp (say Bugzilla) to/from srv?
51 > I feel it breaking and user screaming.
54 that's an useflag you may use it or not, webapps use webapp-config that
55 already handles /srv w/out any problem, having the base webroot using
56 srvdir would be nice so you spare a couple of mv but that's all...
57
58 lu
62 Luca Barbato
63
64 Gentoo/linux Developer Gentoo/PPC Operational Leader
65 http://dev.gentoo.org/~lu_zero
68 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list