From: "Petteri Räty" <betelgeuse@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] DB vs SCM (was Re: [RFC] Some sync control)
Date: Sat, 27 Jan 2007 13:25:48
1 Steve Long wrote:
2 > Hi,
3 >
4 > Please note, I'm not talking about applications like portage or pkgcore,
5 > just the ebuild text files, which I understand have one maintainer?
8 Many ebuilds are in maintained by a bunch of people via herds.
11 > I appreciate that source control is needed to maintain files over a period
12 > of time and to roll back changes. Does that happen with ebuilds?
15 Rolling back changes does not happen that often but a history is useful.
18 > I'm thinking in any case that a db app can save old revisions or use a svn
19 > backend. I'm looking at this from a workflow perspective, in terms
20 > especially of the security issue around giving commit access to the whole
21 > tree. If the individual maintainer only has permission for those ebuilds
22 > s/he is responsible for, it might make it easier to allow new people write
23 > access.
26 I fail to see any benefit from a layer above svn. svn has good access
27 control if we want use that built in.
30 > Sorry if this has all been discussed before.
33 Most likely the access control has been discusses some times before. To
34 summarize having access to everything is quite useful.
37 > (Please note: I'm not discussing the mechanisms by which software might be
38 > installed for the end-user, rather the back-end which you devs use, of
39 > which I admittedly have no experience.)
42 So please let people who actually use/know how source control work
43 discuss the issue.