From: George Prowse <cokehabit@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Creating a Sketeton System
Date: Mon, 12 Dec 2005 19:24:49
1 On 12/12/05, Andrew Muraco <tuxp3@×××××××××.com> wrote:
2 >
3 > George Prowse wrote:
4 >
5 > > After some talk in the forums a point came up that we need a way to
6 > > reduce the long used gentoo system to a bare point before X but after
7 > > any baselayout upgrade had been applied.
8 >
9 > Isn't that what the stages are, Barebone systems?
12 yes but if you extracted a stage on to an already built system you would not
13 only have the the mess there that you wanted to get rid of but also all your
14 config files would revert back to older versions and you'd lose any changes
15 made.
16
17 > This script would enable two things: a person to rebuild his system
18 > > after a library malfunction and also if a person wanted to switch from
19 > > 100% gtk to 100% qt or vice-versa.
20 > >
21 > > At present we have depclean to reduce anything past xorg-x11 but that
22 > > doesn't get as far as anything that doesn't rely on a package being
23 > > able to depend on an GUI, libraries need to be brought in and all but
24 > > baselayout needs to be cleaned out so a "bare bone" is left.
25 >
26 > Why not just move world out of the way and then emerge what you want to
27 > keep/install then emerge depclean the rest (although this could easily
28 > fubar a system if they do it blindly removing important system packages)
31 because i'd rather not use depclean but also depclean doesn't get rid of the
32 configs left by any packages, for instance: if i had xfce on my system
33 before and i did emerge -C xorg-x11 && emerge depclean xfce would be wiped
34 off but if i emerged xfce again there would still be modified parts that
35 would use the options i selected on the previous version.
36
37 George