From: Luca Barbato <lu_zero@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Making systemd more accessible to "normal" users
Date: Wed, 15 May 2013 15:09:59
1 On 05/15/2013 05:03 PM, Luca Barbato wrote:
2 > On 05/15/2013 03:41 PM, Fabio Erculiani wrote:
3 >> Are we realizing that in order to keep systemd out of our way, we're
4 >> currently writing and maintaining drop-in replacements for the
5 >> features that systemd is already providing in an actively maintained
6 >> state? openrc-settingsd was the first thing that we as Gentoo
7 >> developers (Pacho?) had to write in order to merge GNOME 3.6 into our
8 >> tree.
9
10 To make it even clearer.
11
12 In order to support a good amount of users out there that do not care
13 about gnome and cannot use systemd we can see and bake alternatives that
14 are compatible enough.
15
16 Those that can't use systemd:
17
18 - those not using the latest glibc (and maybe uclibc)
19 - those not using a recent linux kernel
20 - not sure about cgroups-users, the lxc vs systemd problem should be
21 solved I hope
22
23 That's what I'm aware of.
24