From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: Did portage 2.1 change default use flags?
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2006 08:08:32
1 Peter <pete4abw@×××××××.net> posted
2 pan.2006.06.13.16.57.04.370327@×××××××.net, excerpted below, on Tue, 13
3 Jun 2006 12:57:08 -0400:
4
5 > On Tue, 13 Jun 2006 18:08:03 +0200, Bo Ørsted Andresen wrote:
6 >
7 >> On Monday 12 June 2006 12:57, Bo Ørsted Andresen wrote:
8 >>> On Monday 12 June 2006 12:42, Peter wrote:
9 >>> > All of a sudden, emerge -uD --newuse world is showing dozens of
10 >>> > ebuild that are replaced due to removed use flags.
11 >>>
12 >>> Look at the first section of[:]
13 >>> http://www.gentoo.org/news/en/gwn/20060116-newsletter.xml
14 >>
15 >> As far as I can see this is not mentioned in either this weeks GWN, the
16 >> portage 2.1 release notes or the 2.1 news page [references]. I'm sure a
17 >> lot of people running stable don't remember the GWN from January.
18 >> Shouldn't this be mentioned somewhere now?
19
20 Valid point. An informed Gentoo sysadmin is an effective Gentoo sysadmin.
21 Now sometimes I think Gentoo users (which are by another name Gentoo
22 sysadmins) shirk their responsibility to stay informed, but this wouldn't
23 seem to be one of those cases. Sure, it was there in January, but
24 forget the folks who forgot, what about folks who started on Gentoo since
25 then? The change should at a minimum be in the release notes. Additional
26 coverage would be good, but a responsible admin will certainly read the
27 release notes for a non-micro upgrade of something as central to system
28 administration as a package manager, and as this is a non-trivial change,
29 it should at the very minimum be there.
30
31 Or put it this way. If it was in the release notes and I failed to see
32 it, I'd consider it my problem (I get to keep the pieces, as the saying
33 goes). If things start changing out from under me without notice despite my
34 reading of such documentation, the problem is with the package and its
35 documentation, and should be considered a bug.
36
37 (FWIW, as a responsible sysadmin, I dealt with the changes when they were
38 first covered, back in January, so I could rest easy that the changes when
39 they occurred in the portage I was using wouldn't cause any issues. See
40 below. However, as mentioned, that doesn't do a thing for the poor guy,
41 responsible or not, who started with Gentoo in February and is still
42 getting his Gentoo legs under him, only to see all this change without any
43 warning.)
44
45 > And, from a user pov, these changes are difficult to assess. It is not
46 > obvious what removing mysql, or db, or idn, or gmp might mean,
47 > especially if the user never put them there in the first place! And, how
48 > to you explain that openoffice-bin now has -java instead of java? Or,
49 > why gnupg lost bzip2?
50
51 Here I can't agree. A responsible Gentoo admin will be verifying the USE
52 flags using --pretend or --ask before every package merge. As such, (s)he
53 should be reasonably familiar with them. Sure, (s)he may not know
54 specifically what each one does on every package that uses it, but he
55 should have no more trouble here than with the whole Gentoo concept and
56 use of USE flags in general. Portage does a good job of flagging changed
57 flags in bright yellow. If an admin isn't familiar with that particular
58 flag, a quick euse -i <flag> (euse is part of gentoolkit) will reveal both
59 its purpose, and whether it's a global or local USE flag (and if local,
60 how common its use is, global can be assumed to be quite commonly used
61 or it wouldn't be global). From there, it's the bog standard process of
62 deciding whether you want the flag on or off in make.conf, and dealing
63 with exceptions as they come up in package.use. As I said, any
64 responsible Gentoo sysadmin (that is, Gentoo user by another name) should
65 be comfortable with this process. If they aren't, there's the entirely
66 logical question of why they are using Gentoo in the first place.
67
68 > Too many things occurred without explanation.
69
70 Agreed.
71
72 > What _I_ ended up doing was hacking make.conf and essentially put back
73 > all the changed -use flags until I could examine this further.
74
75 Well, aside from the fact that a responsible sysadmin (well, if he had
76 been here since January to have read the coverage back then) would have
77 already verified his USE flags without the benefit of use.default (I long
78 ago did a search on all such files in the tree, deleted the ones I knew
79 weren't going to be part of my profile, backed up the others, and did an
80 emerge --pretend --newuse to figure out what I needed to fix, then after
81 fixing them added them to the rsync-exclude list so syncs wouldn't be
82 bringing them back), what you did was basically what any sane Gentoo admin
83 would have done. No big deal. Dealing with USE flags, both with the
84 initial merge of the package, and when any change, is simply part of the
85 job. IMO, a Gentoo admin unprepared to deal with that part of the job
86 should be asking himself serious questions about why he's using Gentoo in
87 the first place, and if another distribution wouldn't be better suited to
88 his wanting the distribution to make those decisions for him. There are
89 certainly many distributions out there willing to do so, but part of
90 Gentoo's distinctness is that it places this power AND responsibility in
91 the hands of the individual Gentoo sysadmin (aka Gentoo user). Someone
92 who doesn't want that... IMO shouldn't be using Gentoo, since that's part
93 of what /defines/ Gentoo.
94
95 > Maybe this corrected an error from prior ebuilds or portage versions.
96 > But, from where I sit, the cure seems worse than the original problem.
97
98 How so? It's making Gentoo more Gentoo-like. Taking a decision that
99 /was/ being made and changed arbitrarily based on what was merged, by the
100 distribution, and putting that decision back squarely in the hands of the
101 folks who have, by making the Gentoo choice in the first place, signified
102 that they WANT the choice of making that decision, AND the responsibility
103 for doing so.
104
105 As I've said, this absolutely should be in the release notes, and
106 preferably should be in other coverage of the portage 2.1 changes as
107 well. There is IMO no excuse for it not being there. However, also
108 IMO, it shouldn't be a problem for any responsible Gentoo sysadmin, other
109 than asking the very reasonable question of why the change isn't covered
110 in the documentation. Other than that, it's simply doing the bog-standard
111 coping with routine USE flag changes, only there's a few more of them to
112 deal with than "routine" in this case.
117 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman
120 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list