From: Peter <pete4abw@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: Did portage 2.1 change default use flags?
Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2006 17:04:15
1 On Tue, 13 Jun 2006 18:08:03 +0200, Bo Ørsted Andresen wrote:
2
3 > On Monday 12 June 2006 12:57, Bo Ørsted Andresen wrote:
4 >> On Monday 12 June 2006 12:42, Peter wrote:
5 >> > All of a sudden, emerge -uD --newuse world is showing dozens of ebuild
6 >> > that are replaced due to removed use flags. Did someone change the
7 >> > default use flags? Upgraded yesterday to portage 2.1.
8 >>
9 >> Look at the first section of [1]. Just so you know it this could have
10 >> been answered on -user too.
11 >>
12 >> [1] http://www.gentoo.org/news/en/gwn/20060116-newsletter.xml
13 >
14 > As far as I can see this is not mentioned in either this weeks GWN [1],
15 > the portage 2.1 release notes [2] or the 2.1 news page [3]. I'm sure a lot
16 > of people running stable don't remember the GWN from January. Shouldn't
17 > this be mentioned somewhere now?
18 >
19 > [1] http://www.gentoo.org/news/en/gwn/20060612-newsletter.xml [2]
20 > http://sources.gentoo.org/viewcvs.py/portage/main/trunk/RELEASE-NOTES?view=markup
21 > [3]
22 > http://sources.gentoo.org/viewcvs.py/portage/main/trunk/NEWS?view=markup
23
24 And, from a user pov, these changes are difficult to assess. It is not
25 obvious what removing mysql, or db, or idn, or gmp might mean, especially
26 if the user never put them there in the first place! And, how to you
27 explain that openoffice-bin now has -java instead of java? Or, why gnupg
28 lost bzip2?
29
30 Too many things occurred without explanation. What _I_ ended up doing was
31 hacking make.conf and essentially put back all the changed -use flags
32 until I could examine this further.
33
34 Maybe this corrected an error from prior ebuilds or portage versions. But,
35 from where I sit, the cure seems worse than the original problem.
36
37 Thanks for researching this, Bo.
38 --
39 Peter