From: Daniel Drake <dsd@g.o>
To: Stefan Schweizer <sschweizer@×××××.com>
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] init script optimizations?
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 2004 14:43:01
1 Stefan Schweizer wrote:
2 > For DHCP:
3 > I suggest backgrounding it as is done in knoppix. It will not hurt and
4 > bring the delay to 0 sec without shortening usability.
5
6 If I remember right, this was done for a short period of time. It caused
7 problems. For example, I had "ntpdate" in my runlevel at the time, and it
8 tried to start up directly after net.eth0. But net.eth0 hadn't completed the
9 DHCP request in time, so my network interface was not ready to synchronise
10 with a time server.
11
12 Daniel
15 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list