From: Stefan Schweizer <sschweizer@×××××.com>
To: Daniel Drake <dsd@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] init script optimizations?
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 2004 15:04:22
1 On Thu, 14 Oct 2004 16:32:43 +0100, Daniel Drake <dsd@g.o> wrote:
2 > If I remember right, this was done for a short period of time. It caused
3 > problems. For example, I had "ntpdate" in my runlevel at the time, and it
4 > tried to start up directly after net.eth0. But net.eth0 hadn't completed the
5 > DHCP request in time, so my network interface was not ready to synchronise
6 > with a time server.
7
8 We could solve this by wating one or 2 secs and then backgrounding the
9 dhcp request.
10 Not sure how feasible this is, though.
11 But I think its intolerable for the average dhcp laptop user to wait
12 60 secs if he does not get a dhcp answer.
15 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list