From: Mike Frysinger <vapier@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] glibc: pt_chown setuid going away by default
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2013 18:33:26
1 On Saturday 13 April 2013 13:06:04 Jeroen Roovers wrote:
2 > On Fri, 12 Apr 2013 16:08:10 -0400 Mike Frysinger wrote:
3 > > that you remember. i think it's more likely you copy & pasted some
4 > > line a long time ago than baselayout modified it for you.
5 >
6 > Exactly, but where did that come from?
7
8 probably worthwhile to track down to better understand, but i don't think the
9 answer will change the result
10
11 > > two people who have installs that are a decade old doesn't incline me
12 > > to write a news entry. not when the ebuild itself contains a sanity
13 > > check that triggers exactly as needed and includes an error message
14 > > explaining things. we aren't talking about an upgrade here that will
15 > > silently & accidentally break your box on next boot (like udev &
16 > > friends), or will break running programs (like SONAME bumps, although
17 > > that's a much less of a problem now that portage handles things
18 > > automatically).
19 >
20 > I have been looking through old copies of the Handbook in the last
21 > hour, assuming the fstab entry may have been included there at some
22 > point. I haven't done anything like a thorough search, but I assume it
23 > may have slipped into the handbook at some point and was later removed
24 > (as some CVS log entries from 2004 seem to suggest).
25
26 it's at times like this i wish we had a git repo. `git log -p -C -M` is great
27 at tracking this sort of stuff down.
28 -mike