From: Matti Bickel <mabi@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC: ion license
Date: Sun, 13 May 2007 08:05:04
1 Ciaran McCreesh <ciaranm@×××××××.org> wrote:
2 > Supporting this would be a huge policy violation, and not so merely as
3 > a technicality.
4
5 How's that? I agree that this timely response clause will mean ion-3 will
6 never go stable. That's the only thing i could envision to be a policy
7 violation.
8
9 > I suggest simply removing ion support from the main
10 > tree, and sticking it in an overlay that comes with a big warning
11 > telling users that they cannot expect any level of QA for those
12 > packages.
13
14 Care to expand on "no QA"? Tuomo fixed several QA warnings upstream (missing
15 strlen, etc. includes) when i told him (there will be patches on our side
16 until the next _rc).
17 Additionally i'd like to point out the bit where he says he don't want this
18 license to hinder distributions who just stick with upstream, which our policy
19 explicitly recommends. That's why i'm trying to reach a compromise on those
20 USE patches we apply. That's why the next build will tell ppl to bug me first.
21
22 In general: i don't think forking is an option. I won't be maintaining a fork
23 myself to begin with. If the general feeling is that ion is unacceptable in
24 the tree, i'll mask it pending removal.
25 --
26 Regards, Matti Bickel
27 Encrypted/Signed Email preferred