From: Karl Trygve Kalleberg <karltk@g.o>
To: Barry Shaw <baz@×××××××××××××××.nz>
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC: Alternative names for binaries in app-text/cook and dev-util/cook
Date: Mon, 17 May 2004 20:32:44
1 On Fri, May 14, 2004 at 04:50:48PM +1200, Barry Shaw wrote:
2
3 > I thought that all of the ebuilds in portage were supposed to have
4 > unique package names. I seem to recall reading this somewhere in the
5 > gentoo docs but I have been unable to find it again.
6
7 This is not correct. Identical package names are okay. Identical installed
8 files are not.
9
10 The name clashes that happen in /usr/portage/packages/All are a side effect
11 of the current implementation of the binary package system, and is in, imho,
12 very unfortunate.
13
14 However, two identically named packages in different categories are seldom at
15 the same version, so there shouldn't be any overwriting of tbz2s.
16
17 Kind regards,
18
19 Karl T