From: Wolfgang Mueller <vehk@××××.de>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] MANPATH handling in ebuilds
Date: Wed, 04 Jan 2017 19:23:50
1 > You shouldn't call those tools inside ebuild. If the build system is
2 > doing that, patch it out. In fact, I'm surprised sandbox doesn't catch
3 > this as an attempt to write outside allowed paths.
4
5 Okay, I shall remove any calls to database creation and just alert the
6 user.
7
8 > Are you sure this happens in cron.daily entries as well? I'd say cron
9 > should be respecting profile environment one way or another.
10
11 For man-db it does not matter, since it does not use MANPATH to get
12 the right directories (instead uses /etc/man_db.conf). I am quite sure
13 it happens to me with mdocml (without sourcing /etc/profile in the
14 cron.daily script it ignores gcc's and binutils' man pages). I have only
15 tested this manually with run-parts, so I shall put it in cron.hourly
16 right now and report back later. fwiw printing env to a file from a
17 cron.daily script run manually with run-parts results in an environment
18 without MANPATH set. Presumably because it is not a login shell, and
19 /etc/profile is not sourced.
22 Wolfgang Mueller / vehk.de / GPG 0xc543cfce9465f573