From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: Wolfgang Mueller <vehk@××××.de>
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] MANPATH handling in ebuilds
Date: Wed, 04 Jan 2017 19:05:45
1 On Wed, 4 Jan 2017 16:45:56 +0000
2 Wolfgang Mueller <vehk@××××.de> wrote:
3
4 > While working on an mdocml ebuild, I noticed that a call to `makewhatis'
5 > for mdocml or the corresponding `mandb' call for sys-apps/man-db does
6 > not create entries for gcc's or binutils' man pages. This is because
7 > the MANPATH environment is suppressed in ebuilds. I asked about this
8 > in #gentoo-dev-help, but did not get an answer as to why MANPATH is
9 > suppressed.
10
11 You shouldn't call those tools inside ebuild. If the build system is
12 doing that, patch it out. In fact, I'm surprised sandbox doesn't catch
13 this as an attempt to write outside allowed paths.
14
15 > What's the best way to handle with this in ebuilds (and the
16 > corresponding cron.daily entries)? Sourcing /etc/profile seems like
17 > a terrible hack to me. For what it's worth, sys-apps/man-db does not
18 > alert the user that gcc and binutils (and /usr/local/share/man) will be
19 > missing from apropos entries.
20
21 Are you sure this happens in cron.daily entries as well? I'd say cron
22 should be respecting profile environment one way or another.
25 Best regards,
26 Michał Górny
27 <http://dev.gentoo.org/~mgorny/>