From: Wolfgang Mueller <vehk@××××.de>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] MANPATH handling in ebuilds
Date: Wed, 04 Jan 2017 16:46:08
1 Hi,
2
3 While working on an mdocml ebuild, I noticed that a call to `makewhatis'
4 for mdocml or the corresponding `mandb' call for sys-apps/man-db does
5 not create entries for gcc's or binutils' man pages. This is because
6 the MANPATH environment is suppressed in ebuilds. I asked about this
7 in #gentoo-dev-help, but did not get an answer as to why MANPATH is
8 suppressed.
9
10 What's the best way to handle with this in ebuilds (and the
11 corresponding cron.daily entries)? Sourcing /etc/profile seems like
12 a terrible hack to me. For what it's worth, sys-apps/man-db does not
13 alert the user that gcc and binutils (and /usr/local/share/man) will be
14 missing from apropos entries.
15
16 See also my mail on gentoo-user about this:
17 https://archives.gentoo.org/gentoo-user/message/83293ea8876e5a8c80cfde4240d392c2
20 Wolfgang Mueller / vehk.de / GPG 0xc543cfce9465f573