From: Terje Kvernes <terjekv@××××××××.no>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] stabilitylevels and such issues.
Date: Sat, 20 Apr 2002 21:12:32
1 Mike Payson <mike@××××××××××××××.com> writes:
2
3 > How about something like:
4 > emerge --force foo_1.1beta
5 >
6 > with --force (or whatever keyword is chosen) telling it to ignore
7 > the currently set stability level & install the particular package
8 > specified?
9
10 hm, "--force" might eventually get other meanings, with dependencies
11 and such. but I can't really think of any other fitting option.
12 "--any-stability-level" is a tad long, but "--force" will probably
13 imply "--any-stability-level", and of course, we can use a short
14 mapping of it (-A or so). I'll see about getting this in as well.
15
16 please note that an option like this will _not_ have the exact
17 effect you're thinking of.
18
19 emerge --force xgammon
20
21 will get the most resent xgammon. if you specifically want
22 xgammon-0.98a you need to do:
23
24 emerge --force =xgammon-0.98a
25
26 note the "=". if you don't give the "="-sign emerge will look for
27 the latest version of the package "xgammon-0.98a" and come up short.
28 this is also how emerge / portage works today.
31 Terje