From: Mike Payson <mike@××××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] stabilitylevels and such issues.
Date: Sun, 21 Apr 2002 00:23:35
1 On Saturday 20 April 2002 07:12 pm, Terje Kvernes wrote:
2 > Mike Payson <mike@××××××××××××××.com> writes:
3 > > How about something like:
4 > > emerge --force foo_1.1beta
5 > >
6 > > with --force (or whatever keyword is chosen) telling it to ignore
7 > > the currently set stability level & install the particular package
8 > > specified?
9 >
10 > hm, "--force" might eventually get other meanings, with dependencies
11 > and such. but I can't really think of any other fitting option.
12 > "--any-stability-level" is a tad long, but "--force" will probably
13 > imply "--any-stability-level", and of course, we can use a short
14 > mapping of it (-A or so). I'll see about getting this in as well.
15
16 I agree --force might not be the best term... It is appropriate in the context
17 of "force this version, regardless of the default stability level", but as I
18 said, other keywords might be more appropriate.
19
20 > please note that an option like this will _not_ have the exact
21 > effect you're thinking of.
22 >
23 > emerge --force xgammon
24 >
25 > will get the most resent xgammon. if you specifically want
26 > xgammon-0.98a you need to do:
27 >
28 > emerge --force =xgammon-0.98a
29 >
30 > note the "=". if you don't give the "="-sign emerge will look for
31 > the latest version of the package "xgammon-0.98a" and come up short.
32 > this is also how emerge / portage works today.
33
34 That's actually what I meant. Sorry for the confusion.
35
36 ps. Sorry about the blank message...