From: Drake Wyrm <wyrm@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] coreutils patch for 'ls -l' of GB files
Date: Sun, 25 Apr 2004 23:27:34
1 On Sat, 2004-04-24, 17:55:03 -0400, in <20040424215503.GC14678@××××××××××.net>, Jason Cooper <gentoo@××××××××××.net> wrote:
2 > Daniel Drake (dsd@g.o) scribbled:
3 > > Jason Cooper wrote:
4 > >
5 > > >So my question for you guys is this: Should I submit this to the
6 > > >coreutils owner? It's stupid simple, literally a one-line patch. I'd
7 > > >make it a command line option, but I think they left it hard-coded for a
8 > > >reason...
9
10 Probably the same reason programmers used two-digit years for so long.
11 "This will work for now. I'll fix it later, before it becomes a
12 problem." What was the largest hard drive available in 1985? Files
13 larger than 95 GB were never going to happen...
14
15 > > If you make your new behaviour default, you may break many peoples scripts
16 > > that expect the size column to be 8 characters long.
17
18 Files larger than 99999999 bytes will also break scripts which depend
19 on an 8-character size column.
20
21 > > My opinion is that your modification should become accessible only through
22 > > a non-default commandline parameter.
23 >
24 > Agreed, would an "auto-adjusting width" be a worthwhile endevour? It
25 > seems kind of pointless to add a commandline option just to increase the
26 > column width two characters, not to mention temporary (tera/peta-byte size
27 > files?). A more robust solution would be for the option to allow the
28 > column width to shrink and grow based on the largest file in the list.
29
30 Frankly, an "auto-adjusting width" should probably be the default. It
31 should not break anything which grabs the fifth space-separated field,
32 and anything which grabs characters 35 through 42 is broken, anyway.
33
34 Thinking from another point of view, the output from `ls -l` is intended
35 for human consumption. Robust scripts which need to determine the size
36 of a file (should) use `stat -c %s`.
39 Batou: Hey, Major... You ever hear of "human rights"?
40 Kusanagi: I understand the concept, but I've never seen it in action.
41 --Ghost in the Shell