From: Jason Cooper <gentoo@××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] coreutils patch for 'ls -l' of GB files
Date: Sat, 24 Apr 2004 21:36:41
1 Daniel Drake (dsd@g.o) scribbled:
2 > Hi,
3 >
4 > Jason Cooper wrote:
5 >
6 > >So my question for you guys is this: Should I submit this to the
7 > >coreutils owner? It's stupid simple, literally a one-line patch. I'd
8 > >make it a command line option, but I think they left it hard-coded for a
9 > >reason...
10 >
11 > If you make your new behaviour default, you may break many peoples scripts
12 > that expect the size column to be 8 characters long.
13
14 You're right, I hadn't thought of that. I'll blame a lack of coffee on
15 a Saturday morning :)
18 > My opinion is that your modification should become accessible only through
19 > a non-default commandline parameter.
22 Agreed, would an "auto-adjusting width" be a worthwhile endevour? It
23 seems kind of pointless to add a commandline option just to increase the
24 column width two characters, not to mention temporary (tera/peta-byte size
25 files?). A more robust solution would be for the option to allow the
26 column width to shrink and grow based on the largest file in the list.
27
28 Thanks for your patience,
29
30 Cooper.