From: Joachim Blaabjerg <styx@×××××.org>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Security guidelines for Gentoo
Date: Thu, 14 Mar 2002 05:14:10
1 On Thu, 2002-03-14 at 10:29, Einar Karttunen wrote:
2 > On 14.03.02 10:11 +0100(+0000), kn@××××××××××.dk wrote:
3 > > Considerations before installation
4 > > BIOS password
5 > If the machine is a server set the bios password only to guard
6 > against modifying the settings i.e. it should not be asked on
7 > startup because of remote reboots. Also make sure the machine
8 > will not boot from floppy/cd/network.
9 >
10 > > Password policy
11 > Gentoo could have a stricter pam config on this
12 > because currently very weak passwords get through.
13
14 I think pam_passwdqc (http://www.openwall.com/passwdqc/) is the best
15 option for this job. I could make an ebuild (if there isn't one
16 already).
17
18 > > Kernel patches
19 > > Grsecurity
20 > Currently fails against the gentoo kernel
21 > (see some posts this week about it on the
22 > gentoo-dev list)
23
24 It doesn't apply cleanly, but it's no problem to fix it by hand.
25
26 > > Using xinetd
27 > Or using no inetd at all. Many servers/home machines
28 > which run only http, ssh and mail do not imho need
29 > inetd at all.
30 >
31 > > FTP
32 > oftpd
33
34 I personally prefer vsftpd. _Very_ fast, written with security and
35 performance as top priorities.
38 Joachim Blaabjerg
39 styx@×××××.org
40 www.SuxOS.org