From: "A. Craig West" <acwest-gentoo-dev@×××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] reason for dhcpcd in system profile ?
Date: Sun, 24 Aug 2003 03:21:40
1 On Sat, 23 Aug 2003, Luke-Jr wrote:
2
4 > Hash: SHA1
5 >
6 > What about PPPoE? I don't think that hurts people who don't use it either?
7 > Maybe include some basic dialup tools at the same time?
8 > IMO, stuff in system should be what is actually required... If it included
9 > things that were common for a particular installation, then there would
10 > likely be more than just default-*, and if I'm wrong about what system should
11 > be for, let me know because it would mean I should probably be using a new
12 > profile for InGen instead of making a custom automated etc-update to protect
13 > InGen's make.conf...
14
15 You bring up too good points. What, exactly, is the definition of system? If
16 it is 'everything you need to have a network connected box, so you can go
17 get anything else you need" then I DO think PPPoE should be in it, and maybe
18 ppp or whatever is current in the way of dial-up. They are both quite
19 equivalent to dhcpcd, and neither is all that big, I don't think. The real
20 question is, what is System?
23 Craig West Ph: (416) 666-1645 | It's not a bug,
24 acwest-sig@×××××××××.net | It's a feature...
27 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list