From: Evan Read <eread@×××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [Fwd: gentoo.org reorg (GDN/GUN)]
Date: Thu, 19 Sep 2002 17:08:59
1 On Fri, 2002-09-20 at 03:03, Daniel Robbins wrote:
2 > -----Forwarded Message-----
3 >
4 > From: antonio.meireles@×××××××××.com
5 > Subject: [gentoo-core] gentoo.org reorg (GDN/GUN)
6 > Date: 17 Sep 2002 17:33:09 +0100
7 >
8 > for public review / comments / whatever
9 >
10 > ________________________________________________________________________
11 >
12 > version 0.0.1 (14/September/2002 [18h00 GMT-0] )
13
14 Hey,
15
16 Some of these things are admirable goals, but I think that the first
17 thing Gentoo really needs to do is get to the point where people are
18 willing to use it in production with assurances of timely security fixes
19 etc. Then it will begin to appeal to an even broader market (no one
20 said it couldn't still be up to date) and then perhaps some of these
21 things will become more necessary.
22
23 I notice that the Debian project has none of this kind of separate of
24 content. And they have a huge community. RedHat does because they have
25 a huge amount of content and also because they are talking to a less
26 savvy crowd.
27
28 Gentoo has neither a mammoth user base, nor a huge amount of content
29 (what they have is great and the users are great, of course!). I don't
30 see this as a huge need write now. Let the hackers hack. The
31 documenters document. Let see where we are in a few months time.
32
33 Evan
36 For security use OpenBSD: http://eread.freeshell.org/
37 "The future comes 60 minutes an hour no matter who you are or what you
38 do."
39 The Screwtape Letters - C.S. Lewis