From: Joshua Kinard <kumba@g.o>
To: "Andreas K. Huettel" <dilfridge@g.o>, gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Deprecating repoman
Date: Thu, 10 Mar 2022 21:53:20
1 On 3/10/2022 14:44, Andreas K. Huettel wrote:
2 >>>
3 >>> I wouldn't block anyone from doing this, but it's not something I'm
4 >>> personally interested in pursuing. I see very little value here.
5 >>
6 >> First, you're trying to justify replacing repoman on an entirely subjective
7 >> opinion of "I think <foo> is superior" ...
8 >
9 > Well, if you've ever tried it you'll notice that <foo> for <foo> != repoman
10 > actually finishes the checks within a finite amount of time. Kind of, the
11 > most blatant argument for ditching repoman, actually.
12
13 If this is a concern for some, has anyone looked into whether repoman can be
14 fixed to be more efficient? If so, how was the determination made that it
15 cannot be fixed and instead, needs to be replaced? It's been around for 20+
16 years. Surely someone has gotten annoyed enough to look at any issues it
17 has and attempt to fix them?
18
19 That said, I'm not terribly bothered by it. It is slow, don't get me wrong,
20 but it's not slow enough that my workflow is significantly impacted. It
21 catches most of the mistakes I've ever made before I make them so that I can
22 fix them. For me, that's job well done.
25 Joshua Kinard
26 Gentoo/MIPS
27 kumba@g.o
28 rsa6144/5C63F4E3F5C6C943 2015-04-27
29 177C 1972 1FB8 F254 BAD0 3E72 5C63 F4E3 F5C6 C943
30
31 "The past tempts us, the present confuses us, the future frightens us. And
32 our lives slip away, moment by moment, lost in that vast, terrible in-between."
33
34 --Emperor Turhan, Centauri Republic