From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] www-client/chromium gtk3 support
Date: Thu, 10 Sep 2015 12:25:57
1 On Thu, Sep 10, 2015 at 8:13 AM, hasufell <hasufell@g.o> wrote:
2 > On 09/10/2015 02:03 PM, Rich Freeman wrote:
3 >>
4 >> Suppose you want to run on a non-embedded system with limited RAM and the
5 >> ability to choose means you can use one of the two libraries
6 >> exclusively, thus eliminating the need to load the other library?
7 >> Being able to control what libraries are in use is a key feature of
8 >> Gentoo, IMO.
11 > Any reference that gtk3 has a higher memory footprint?
14 gtk2+gtk3 in RAM at the same time has a higher memory footprint than
15 either one alone. If any package uses one or the other, it will end
16 up being loaded into RAM, so there is potentially value in using one
17 of them exclusively.
18
19 I'm not suggesting that package maintainers should be forced to
20 support both whenever possible. I just don't think they should be
21 discouraged from doing so.
24 Rich