From: hasufell <hasufell@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] www-client/chromium gtk3 support
Date: Thu, 10 Sep 2015 12:33:21
1 On 09/10/2015 02:25 PM, Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > On Thu, Sep 10, 2015 at 8:13 AM, hasufell <hasufell@g.o> wrote:
3 >> On 09/10/2015 02:03 PM, Rich Freeman wrote:
4 >>>
5 >>> Suppose you want to run on a non-embedded system with limited RAM and the
6 >>> ability to choose means you can use one of the two libraries
7 >>> exclusively, thus eliminating the need to load the other library?
8 >>> Being able to control what libraries are in use is a key feature of
9 >>> Gentoo, IMO.
10 >>>
11 >>
12 >> Any reference that gtk3 has a higher memory footprint?
15 > gtk2+gtk3 in RAM at the same time has a higher memory footprint than
16 > either one alone. If any package uses one or the other, it will end
17 > up being loaded into RAM, so there is potentially value in using one
18 > of them exclusively.
21 So you are saying for the unlikely case that someone runs gentoo on a
22 desktop system where he cannot even compile gcc, llvm and others without
23 waiting for 2 weeks or setting up his on binhost, we have to provide a
24 backup-path for him, so that gtk3 is not loaded into his RAM?
25
26 Do you know what that means if you want to _actually_ (not just
27 theoretically) support that? You have to do that consistently, not just
28 for a few packages.
29
30 So this makes no sense, since it's already an unsupported corner case.
31
32 > I'm not suggesting that package maintainers should be forced to
33 > support both whenever possible. I just don't think they should be
34 > discouraged from doing so.
37 Yes, they should be discouraged. It's a QA matter.