From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] www-client/chromium gtk3 support
Date: Thu, 10 Sep 2015 12:44:39
1 On Thu, Sep 10, 2015 at 8:33 AM, hasufell <hasufell@g.o> wrote:
2 >
3 > So this makes no sense, since it's already an unsupported corner case.
4
5 Just what use of Gentoo do you not consider an unsupported corner
6 case, which isn't already better supported by some other distro?
7
8 The whole point of using Gentoo is having "support" for all those
9 "unsupported corner cases." If you just want everything to support
10 doing things in the one way which is most supportable, you're
11 basically doing a really bad job at re-inventing Debian.
12
13 I use quotes around support since all support on Gentoo is
14 best-effort, and that is all I'm getting at here. If a package
15 maintainer can support multiple configurations and are willing to do
16 so, they should be encouraged to do so.
19 >> I'm not suggesting that package maintainers should be forced to
20 >> support both whenever possible. I just don't think they should be
21 >> discouraged from doing so.
24 > Yes, they should be discouraged. It's a QA matter.
27 Well, I'm glad we've all aired our opinions on the matter. :)
28
29 I just fail to see the QA issue here, unless it again boils down to
30 that it is easier to do QA when you have one configuration (like
31 Debian) and not many (like Gentoo).
32
33 The other issue that keeps coming up is that we don't have good
34 standards for USE flag naming in these situations, and the solution to
35 that is to come up with a good uniform practice.
38 Rich