From: Alec Ten Harmsel <alec@××××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] www-client/chromium gtk3 support
Date: Thu, 10 Sep 2015 12:46:49
1 On Thu, Sep 10, 2015 at 02:33:09PM +0200, hasufell wrote:
2 > On 09/10/2015 02:25 PM, Rich Freeman wrote:
3 > >
4 > > gtk2+gtk3 in RAM at the same time has a higher memory footprint than
5 > > either one alone. If any package uses one or the other, it will end
6 > > up being loaded into RAM, so there is potentially value in using one
7 > > of them exclusively.
10 > So you are saying for the unlikely case that someone runs gentoo on a
11 > desktop system where he cannot even compile gcc, llvm and others without
12 > waiting for 2 weeks or setting up his on binhost, we have to provide a
13 > backup-path for him, so that gtk3 is not loaded into his RAM?
14
15 That was my situation until very recently. Firefox builds took ~6 hours.
16 gcc took 2-3 hours. Even though gtk is not that big, it still took 15ish
17 minutes for me to build.
18
19 If upstream gives the option of gtk2 or gtk3, why shouldn't the ebuild?
20 From the "I want a usable system with as little code as possible" and "I
21 want a system tailored to my needs" standpoints, having only one version
22 of gtk makes quite a bit of sense.
23
24 Alec