From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: Alec Ten Harmsel <alec@××××××××××××××.com>
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] www-client/chromium gtk3 support
Date: Thu, 10 Sep 2015 13:07:48
1 Dnia 2015-09-10, o godz. 08:46:41
2 Alec Ten Harmsel <alec@××××××××××××××.com> napisał(a):
3
4 > If upstream gives the option of gtk2 or gtk3, why shouldn't the ebuild?
5 > From the "I want a usable system with as little code as possible" and "I
6 > want a system tailored to my needs" standpoints, having only one version
7 > of gtk makes quite a bit of sense.
8
9 This is the same case as with many other libraries which suffered major
10 API changes -- SDL, for example. Just because upstream *thinks* they
11 support two GTK+ versions, doesn't mean they do. Only one of the
12 versions is well-tested, and the second one sometimes isn't tested at
13 all, neither by upstream nor by the developer.
14
15 The happy end result is, sometimes user has choice between 'working
16 package' and 'package randomly segfaulting when you least expect it'.
17 Of course, it's all hidden nicely under USE=gtk2 and USE=gtk3, so just
18 *maybe* if you have the time to read local flag descriptions for every
19 single package you may notice which of the flags should be enabled to
20 get a working app.
21
22 But yes, wasting people's time and offering easy way to data loss is
23 better than not supporting some imaginary corner case when you can
24 actually use some fancy combination of applications that can actually
25 run without that one library without losing stability and benefit you.
26
27 I hope you are ready to pay the developers who will waste their time
28 figuring out what goes wrong when you report a bug, until they figure
29 out it's because you have forced GTK+ version which upstream thought
30 they're supporting but they do not. That's certainly a better
31 alternative than paying for hardware that can handle loading two
32 libraries.
35 Best regards,
36 Michał Górny
37 <http://dev.gentoo.org/~mgorny/>