From: "Vadim A. Misbakh-Soloviov" <mva@×××.name>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] www-client/chromium gtk3 support
Date: Thu, 10 Sep 2015 14:32:09
1 I disagree witho you and hasufell.
2
3 It *IS* users destiny if they get some stabiity issues because of their
4 decision to have gtk2-only or gtk3-only system.
5
6 Yes, they can paste bugs about improper toolkit support. Is it bad? Rules says
7 it should be reported upstream. And all the time Gentoo exists that worked
8 this way.
9
10 The whole point of Gentoo is to give user freedom of the choice. Freedom to
11 decide every aspect that is possible to decide about. Freedom to use Gentoo
12 exactly as they want, but not as "you don't need feature X, because I'm
13 maintainer/QA and said that", like some DebUbuntu maintainers did with git or,
14 say, ejabberd, some years ago. Any movements to the easy side of "we will not
15 support feature X, despite upstream still support it, because feature Y is
16 newer and shiny, and feature X can be less tested" is a big fat violation of
17 Gentoo philosophy.
18
19 And I totally agree with Rich: it is maintainer decision, if they ready to
20 support mutiple build variants or not. And if not — it is absolutelly lawful
21 user's right to file a bug against a package, that it has support in upstream,
22 but has not in the Gentoo.
23
24 WE HAVE NO RIGHT TO DICTATE users what they should use and what they should
25 not. We are makers of kinda army swiss knife suite that give user possibility
26 and instruments to make everything they want. And any tries to say "you shall
27 use SystemD, but not sysV/openrc/upstart/whatever", or "you shall use gtk3
28 only", or "you shall use Qt5 only", and so on — is a CRIME against Gentoo
29 philosophy.
32 Best regards,
33 mva