From: Alec Warner <antarus@g.o>
To: Gentoo Dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] www-client/chromium gtk3 support
Date: Thu, 10 Sep 2015 15:38:09
1 On Thu, Sep 10, 2015 at 7:31 AM, Vadim A. Misbakh-Soloviov <mva@×××.name>
2 wrote:
3
4 > I disagree witho you and hasufell.
5 >
6 > It *IS* users destiny if they get some stabiity issues because of their
7 > decision to have gtk2-only or gtk3-only system.
8 >
9 > Yes, they can paste bugs about improper toolkit support. Is it bad? Rules
10 > says
11 > it should be reported upstream. And all the time Gentoo exists that worked
12 > this way.
15 I agree, and yet, I wholly disagree.
16
17 In the before times, the maintainers were often users. They maintained
18 packages and added support for non-standard configurations precisely
19 because they needed these configurations; they wanted them and they
20 experimented with them.
21
22 As the distro grew in size, in userbase, and in package count, you see this
23 experimentation shunted off into other areas.
24
25 1) Local overlays. Often if users need to do a thing, they can simply use
26 epatch_user or similar local over-rides to gain the functionality they
27 desire. Gentoo itself has a fair amount of tooling to make this easy; its
28 still way easier than doing it in other distros (the oft-mentioned Debian
29 for example...)
30
31 2) Published overlays. We have overlays, and layman, and often discovering
32 that someone else has added support for the customizations you want is
33 fairly straightforward. Of course, it could be easier. Of course, we could
34 put all ebuilds in one giant repository. Unfortunately with users comes
35 some standard of reliability. In the early days I don't think anyone
36 equated Gentoo with reliability. I think there is some higher standard now
37 as many organizations have built atop Gentoo and expect some level of
38 reliability (now whether this is a sane expectation is a separate
39 discussion..but I digress.)
43 > The whole point of Gentoo is to give user freedom of the choice. Freedom to
44 > decide every aspect that is possible to decide about. Freedom to use Gentoo
45 > exactly as they want, but not as "you don't need feature X, because I'm
46 > maintainer/QA and said that", like some DebUbuntu maintainers did with git
47 > or,
48 > say, ejabberd, some years ago. Any movements to the easy side of "we will
49 > not
50 > support feature X, despite upstream still support it, because feature Y is
51 > newer and shiny, and feature X can be less tested" is a big fat violation
52 > of
53 > Gentoo philosophy.
56 I absolutely refuse to allow this user-choice to be used as a stick to beat
57 maintainers into doing whatever users want. The maintainers are the ones
58 doing the work, and they get to choose. Many maintainers are sympathetic to
59 user choice (as you note, it is a component of the distro philosophy) and
60 many maintainers go out of their way to support user choice. But it is not
61 a cudgel.
65 > And I totally agree with Rich: it is maintainer decision, if they ready to
66 > support mutiple build variants or not. And if not — it is absolutelly
67 > lawful
68 > user's right to file a bug against a package, that it has support in
69 > upstream,
70 > but has not in the Gentoo.
73 And its absolutely OK for a maintainer to close the bug as WONTFIX after a
74 lively discussion.
78 > WE HAVE NO RIGHT TO DICTATE users what they should use and what they should
79 > not. We are makers of kinda army swiss knife suite that give user
80 > possibility
81 > and instruments to make everything they want. And any tries to say "you
82 > shall
83 > use SystemD, but not sysV/openrc/upstart/whatever", or "you shall use gtk3
84 > only", or "you shall use Qt5 only", and so on — is a CRIME against Gentoo
85 > philosophy.
88 > --
89 > Best regards,
90 > mva