From: Stuart Herbert <stuart.herbert@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: A heretical thought? Blessing project sunrise as an almost-fork.
Date: Thu, 15 Jun 2006 18:25:40
1 Hi Kevin,
2
3 On 6/15/06, Kevin F. Quinn <kevquinn@g.o> wrote:
4 > I read the "should" as
5 > implying that all new packages must have it, and packages existing
6 > before the introduction of metadata should get it as and when
7 > maintainer gets around to it (i.e. at least on the next bump).
8
9 Chris's argument was that this doc _requires_ packages to belong to
10 herds (specifically, that all packages that are games automatically
11 belong to the games herd). The document clearly doesn't support his
12 argument.
13
14 > So you'd better have a good excuse for violating the rule if you do
15 > so. Anyone adding a herd tag to meet the "shall", then putting garbage
16 > in it that isn't the name of a defined herd for no good reason,
17 > deserves to be spanked.
18
19 ?? Where has that come from? Has there been a spate of people doing this?
20
21 > However common sense suggests that anyone adding games to the tree
22 > should join the games team and add the game to the games herd (which
23 > obviously means playing by the rules of the team) - not least to provide
24 > consistency; but also to be in the loop for overall games issues and to
25 > provide the most sensible backup maintainers.
26
27 As you say yourself, it's suggested, not mandatory - and it doesn't
28 have to be a specific herd.
29
30 > In other words, you need to have a very good reason for avoiding the
31 > games team and herd when adding a game to the tree.
32
33 That's your personal opinion, which I respect, and I understand how
34 you've come to that conclusion. But it doesn't change the fact that,
35 if folks choose to maintain a game without joining the games herd,
36 they're prefectly entitled to do so. And the same is true for
37 webapps, or anything else. You simply can't go around clubbing people
38 over the head and saying "that's a <project> project ebuild, join our
39 team or it doesn't go into the tree", which is where this is leading.
40
41 What we _don't_ want are folks adding a package to a tree and dumping
42 it on a herd without their permission. That always has been a big 'no
43 no' in Gentoo.
44
45 Best regards,
46 Stu