From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: A heretical thought? Blessing project sunrise as an almost-fork.
Date: Thu, 15 Jun 2006 18:46:25
1 On Thu, 2006-06-15 at 19:18 +0100, Stuart Herbert wrote:
2 > Hi Kevin,
3 >
4 > On 6/15/06, Kevin F. Quinn <kevquinn@g.o> wrote:
5 > > I read the "should" as
6 > > implying that all new packages must have it, and packages existing
7 > > before the introduction of metadata should get it as and when
8 > > maintainer gets around to it (i.e. at least on the next bump).
9 >
10 > Chris's argument was that this doc _requires_ packages to belong to
11 > herds (specifically, that all packages that are games automatically
12 > belong to the games herd). The document clearly doesn't support his
13 > argument.
14
15 I said no such thing.
16
17 This is clearly a case of you trying to assume what I'm saying in such a
18 way that it matches with what you want me to say.
19
20 I said that all games in the tree should be in the games herd. We like
21 it this way. Trying to make it out like I said something that I didn't
22 does what for you, exactly?
23
24 > > So you'd better have a good excuse for violating the rule if you do
25 > > so. Anyone adding a herd tag to meet the "shall", then putting garbage
26 > > in it that isn't the name of a defined herd for no good reason,
27 > > deserves to be spanked.
28 >
29 > ?? Where has that come from? Has there been a spate of people doing this?
30
31 Ever seen a "no-herd" package?
32
33 > That's your personal opinion, which I respect, and I understand how
34 > you've come to that conclusion. But it doesn't change the fact that,
35 > if folks choose to maintain a game without joining the games herd,
36 > they're prefectly entitled to do so. And the same is true for
37 > webapps, or anything else. You simply can't go around clubbing people
38 > over the head and saying "that's a <project> project ebuild, join our
39 > team or it doesn't go into the tree", which is where this is leading.
40
41 Not at all... this is where the naysayers will lead you to *believe*
42 that it is leading. How about this? How about you ask tcort about what
43 happened the other day with the games package that he wanted to add?
44
45 He asked me if he could add it and he would maintain it. I said yes.
46 He added it with games as the herd, and him as maintainer.
47
48 Where's the problem?
49
50 > What we _don't_ want are folks adding a package to a tree and dumping
51 > it on a herd without their permission. That always has been a big 'no
52 > no' in Gentoo.
53
54 See, this is where you're mistaken in thinking that anyone says that you
55 can dump a package on someone else. I *definitely* have said no such
56 thing. If someone adds a game, they better damn well list themselves as
57 the maintainer. The same should be true for all packages.
60 Chris Gianelloni
61 Release Engineering - Strategic Lead
62 x86 Architecture Team
63 Games - Developer