From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: pkg_rm_pretend?
Date: Sun, 15 Oct 2017 04:18:15
1 Kent Fredric posted on Sun, 15 Oct 2017 06:36:34 +1300 as excerpted:
2
3 > On Thu, 12 Oct 2017 07:50:38 +0000 (UTC)
4 > Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net> wrote:
5 >
6 >> Wow. How'd you ever get a backlog of 400 packages in your depclean
7 >> list,
8 >> including critical ones you know you want to keep? These days portage
9 >> even strongly suggests running depclean after an --update @world, in
10 >> part to avoid such huge and confusing backlogs when it is run.
11 >
12 > I maintain perl ... so ... that can happen within a week *easily*,
13 > depending what I test-install. :)
14 >
15 > On my chroot, I had a 1900 package depclean the other day that took 2
16 > hours to run.
17 >
18 > And yes, this was actually due to me going "oh, right, this box is going
19 > to need to upgrade Perl soon, I should depclean *before* I sync to make
20 > my life easier".
21 >
22 > Welp.
23
24 Perl maintainer... after seeing the number of new packages, often 2X due
25 to virtuals as well, that the recent perl upgrade brought me...
26
27 Understood, now. =8^0
28
29 Tho a 1900-package-depclean... let's just say I'm glad you're doing it,
30 not me, because I'm not sure /what/ I'd do with that, only that I'd
31 probably not want to /touch/ anything sysadmin related for probably a
32 month, after that!
33
34 I can also imagine doing something drastic like hourly depcleans, if
35 that's what it too, too, after dealing with a 1900-pkg-depclean! Yikes!
40 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman