From: Paul de Vrieze <pauldv@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] status of http://wwwredesign.gentoo.org
Date: Tue, 22 Nov 2005 10:31:50
1 On Monday 21 November 2005 13:07, Thomas de Grenier de Latour wrote:
2 > On Mon, 21 Nov 2005 02:18:21 -0500
3 >
4 > Curtis Napier <curtis119@g.o> wrote:
5 > > I'm asking for everyone (developers and users alike) to please
6 > > have a look at the updated site and send any feedback you may
7 > > have.
8 >
9 > Firefox-1.0.7 here, on a 1024x768 screen, and i think there is too
10 > much wasted space. Since i'm not new to Gentoo, when i go to the
11 > front page it's either to follow link to the doc or to read news.
12 > The former is fine, but the later is not (news are the last ~10% of
13 > what i see):
14 > http://tdegreni.free.fr/gentoo/redesign_gentoo_org.png
15 >
16 > I'm not good at HTML things so i can't send a patch, but I think the
17 > vertical size of the information boxes on top should be only what
18 > is needed for the text to fit, and not the background image size
19 > or whatever else it is at the moment. And also, there should be
20 > much less white space before the real contents starts. Modified in
21 > Gimp, it would more looks like that:
22 > http://tdegreni.free.fr/gentoo/redesign_gentoo_org_fixed.png
25 On this respect, I agree, but also would like to be able to have the link
26 set at the bottom to be visible without scrolling. Perhaps they could be
27 moved to the side of the webpage. On 1280x1024 the text is too wide, and
28 in general the news font size seems to be a bit too big. Perhaps we could
29 also limit the amount of words in a news message and but the rest of the
30 message on a separate page.
31
32 In general I think that with the nice banner on gentoo we don't need the
33 cow saying "We produce ..." anymore. Perhaps a single line pointing to
34 the about page would be enough (yes I know it's also in the menu).
35
36 Paul
39 Paul de Vrieze
40 Gentoo Developer