From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: EAPI spec (was Re: Re: let's clear things up (was Slacker archs))
Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2007 06:04:38
1 (Everything here is meant to be educational, not really commenting on
2 anything else.)
3
4 On Thu, 2007-02-22 at 12:04 -0800, Brian Harring wrote:
5 > Said spec covers profiles also; mentioning at least the existance of
6 > the misc STAGE* settings isn't a horrible idea, even if not going into
7 > detail- anyone digging through the profiles will see them, and likely
8 > wonder why they're there, and why quite a few profiles specify an
9 > extra set of use lists.
10
11 Some of the stuff in profiles, such as STAGE1_USE, isn't used by the
12 package manager in any way. STAGE1_USE is used by nothing but catalyst,
13 and it does exactly what you think it does. It doesn't stack (that
14 might be something worth mentioning) but it is inherited.
15 GRP_STAGE23_USE hasn't been used in catalyst for a very long time.
16 Again, this was the only thing that actually used it.
17
18 Of course, I'm always willing to help anyone understand any aspects of
19 the profiles that might be in question. I can definitely tell you how
20 default-linux works. I tend to leave the hardened/embedded/uclibc stuff
21 alone, except where I am positive what I'm doing won't affect them
22 adversely.
23
24 > While writing the sucker out, I'd expect you'll come across things
25 > where gentoo has a specific way of doing it, which isn't required by
26 > the manager. The suggestion would be to track that somehow, or look
27 > at mangling the devmanual so that it's just diffs against the spec.
28
29 Well, the STAGE1_USE stuff you pointed out is a prime example. Also,
30 STAGE1_USE is *not* required. If it is empty, stage1 is built with
31 USE="build" and if it is actually populated, stage1 is built with
32 USE="build ${STAGE1_USE}".
33
34 As for USE, what I've been trying to do is the following:
35
36 default-linux - uhhh... defaults for all arches under Linux for releases
37
38 $arch - *very* generic USE additions for arch-specific stuff *only*
39
40 $relver - generic USE used to build the release... this would be the
41 equivalent of the old GRP_STAGE23_USE, since it is what stages 2 and 3
42 are built against
43
44 desktop/server - these are the massive USE that used to be in $relver
45 previously... since the stages aren't built against these, they can have
46 more stuff added to them without as harsh consequences... LiveCD-based
47 installs use the desktop profile for networkless installs
48
49 Essentially, as you go to the right down the stack, things get more
50 specific and adds more USE flags.
53 Chris Gianelloni
54 Release Engineering Strategic Lead
55 Alpha/AMD64/x86 Architecture Teams
56 Games Developer/Council Member/Foundation Trustee
57 Gentoo Foundation