From: Brian Harring <ferringb@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: EAPI spec (was Re: Re: let's clear things up (was Slacker archs))
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2007 20:09:21
1 On Thu, Feb 22, 2007 at 08:11:34PM +0100, Danny van Dyk wrote:
2 > Am Donnerstag, 22. Februar 2007 17:41 schrieb Brian Harring:
3 > > Further, getting away from the daft FUD we're trying to 'replace the
4 > > ebuild format' that was leveled.
5 > >
6 > > > Also have a look at our statements regarding overlays again.
7 > > > Overlays can't be configure properly. Multiple repositories can.
8 > > > Nobody says there should be no sharing between them, but it needs
9 > > > to be configured by the user.
10 > >
11 > > master_repository is a new one added within the last two weeks;
12 > > stand corrected.
13 > Repository defaults have been in a little bit longer I think.
14 > <looking up>
15 > 2007-01-26 Ciaran McCreesh <ciaranm@×××××××.org>
16 > * doc/configuration.html.skel,
17 > paludis/environment/default/default_config.cc,
18 > paludis/util/collection.hh, paludis/util/collection_concrete.hh: Add
19 > support for a repository_defaults.conf file.
20 >
21 > There we go.
22
23 master_repository is required for thirdpartymirrors, which was the
24 main stumbling block (and why folks were daftly copying
25 $PORTDIR/profiles/thirdpartymirror into the overlay); feature above
26 just enables avoiding boilerplate in the repostories/* definitions.
29 > > SRC_URI restrictions (port, protocol, etc) are one angle of why at
30 > > least poking them matters- really depends upon what PMS is going to
31 > > address, standalone spec, or gentoos form- if the latter, then
32 > > port/protocol restrictions apply, if the former then those
33 > > restrictions need to wind up somewher as an extension of the spec.
34 >
35 > What has that to do with the PMS? PMS doesn't talk about how mirrors
36 > should work or how to stage files. It's a spec for the package manager.
37
38 The point there was that of binding the gentoo specific restrictions
39 in somehow; whether y'all jam it into the spec itself (ick), or
40 shoving it into a seperate doc.
43 > What you are talking about are implementation details, and even those
44 > which are only remotely related to how the package manager handles
45 > stuff. This matters once we should ever start writing a Gentoo
46 > Distribution Backstage Spec.
47
48 Said spec covers profiles also; mentioning at least the existance of
49 the misc STAGE* settings isn't a horrible idea, even if not going into
50 detail- anyone digging through the profiles will see them, and likely
51 wonder why they're there, and why quite a few profiles specify an
52 extra set of use lists.
53
54 While writing the sucker out, I'd expect you'll come across things
55 where gentoo has a specific way of doing it, which isn't required by
56 the manager. The suggestion would be to track that somehow, or look
57 at mangling the devmanual so that it's just diffs against the spec.
58
59 Either way, the protocol/port bit was an idle, badly phrase
60 suggestion (in other words, take it or leave it).
61
62 ~harring