From: Austin English <wizardedit@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] rfc: moving OpenRC to a meson-based build
Date: Fri, 03 Feb 2017 00:31:26
1 On 02/01/2017 10:46 AM, William Hubbs wrote:
2 > On Wed, Feb 01, 2017 at 03:55:17PM +0000, James Le Cuirot wrote:
3 >> On Wed, 1 Feb 2017 09:39:34 -0600
4 >> William Hubbs <williamh@g.o> wrote:
5 >>
6 >>> I thought about autotools. I'm not really fond of its syntax, and I've
7 >>> been told that, to use autotools correctly, I would need to start
8 >>> generating manual release tarballs again because I would need to put
9 >>> the autotools generated cruft in them.
10 >>
11 >> Not all that hard, to be honest. Autotools adds a "make dist" target and
12 >> then you just upload that tarball to GitHub by adding a new release.
13 >
14 > Is that functionality available through the github API, or do you have
15 > to go to the web site?
16 >
17 > Also, another concern I would have is the tarballs are not reproducible
18 > that way.
19 >
20 > William
23 Well, you could check in the generated files, if you're worried about
24 reproducible builds. E.g., Wine does that:
25 https://source.winehq.org/git/wine.git/blob/HEAD:/configure
26
27 The build files change pretty rarely, and it saves end users the trouble
28 of needing to have autoconf/automake, while also providing reproducible
29 tarballs. I think that strongly outweighs the "they're unnecessary /
30 easily generated" argument.
31
32 Back to the original question, I'm of the opinion that the build system
33 should be something well tested, not some fad project. Autotools/Cmake
34 would both fit the bill here. I'm not deeply involved with OpenRC
35 though, so it's really up to you.
36
37 At the end of the day though, if you're just researching if it's viable
38 and not actually implementing it, then you don't really need to see if
39 other people are okay with it. Make a separate git branch from master
40 and go nuts.
43 -Austin
44
45 Austin English