From: Kent Fredric <kentnl@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Pushing to distfiles?
Date: Sat, 14 Nov 2020 22:00:52
1 On Wed, 11 Nov 2020 19:38:35 -0500
2 Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > I thought that the whole mirror:// thing was discouraged. For
5 > anything else you just stick SRC_URI in the ebuild and the mirrors
6 > should fetch it when they see it in the repo.
7 >
8 > I just host stuff like that on my dev webspace, or better yet on
9 > github or something else that will auto-tarball stuff.
10
11 In my last foray into building things from historical portage
12 snapshots, the use of "push stuff directly to mirror:// and then only
13 have mirror:// in SRC_URI" pattern was *the* leading cause of "oh noes,
14 patches and distfiles no longer exist".
15
16 Because naturally, once there is no longer an ebuild that requires the
17 distfile, it can be reaped from the mirror, and this leaves no fallback
18 fetch location.
19
20 I found myself reviling this so much I feel it apt that this pattern
21 should be more than discouraged, it should be banned outright and all
22 ebuilds that *only* have mirror://gentoo/ as a source for any file
23 should be shot repeatedly till it doesn't do that anymore.
24
25 The resilience of Gentoo-authored distfiles should be *as good* as
26 random 3rd parties we currently source from, not *exponentially worse*